As Chairman Mr.Betancourt focuses his leadership skills on creating strategic policies and procedures, team building and establishing benchmarks of quality and safety. Prior to co-founding GSE, Jose Betancourt was the Commander, Navy Region Southwest, before leaving active duty.
As Commander during his active duty experience, Mr. Betancourt administered the Southwest Region to adopt better business practices providing substantial utility cost savings through innovative energy efficiency. As a result, the Southwest Region received the distinguished Presidential Award for Leadership in Federal Energy Management.
Highlights of career
o Managed a budget of 1.2 billion dollars.
o Responsible for overseeing the management and execution of all major construction projects for the Department of Defense in the southwestern United States.
o Led the Navy’s efforts in reducing electrical consumption through major innovations in energy conservation.
• Installed the first significant grid tied photovoltaic panels in Navy bases.
• Directed and managed the metering of energy usage for all bases, saving the government in excess of one million dollars.
• Developed geo thermal energy projects on federally owned lands.
• Reduced budget expenditures through consolidation of functions by competing government jobs with the private sector.
• Worked closely with Department of Defense officials and the congressionally mandated Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) during the last round of base closures.
• Leased government owned property to private agricultural concerns to maximize land use for productive purposes, while increasing revenues to the Treasury at the same time.
FRED SOTELO as President/CEO has the responsibility of overseeing all Business Units, Operations, Management, Research, Development, Human Resources, Marketing and Sales. Mr. Sotelo’s ability to integrate people and advance technology through strategic partnerships has proven to be one of his strongest assets. Professionally, Mr. Sotelo has spent most of his life in the strategic communications and marketing field representing large companies to national NGO’s and government agencies. Thus, his wealth of knowledge in marketing, brand building, business development and execution are an incredible value to the Company.